When you think about starting a blog or a website, one of the very first and important tasks is finding the perfect domain name.
Finding a domain name can be a tedious process. This is a known fact that the number of online businesses is on an increase which makes it pretty difficult to find a name that is short, meaningful and easy to remember.
I faced this similar problem when I started this blog, there were tons of suggestions and names but on several occasions, the names that I liked were already taken or were available at a much higher cost (Premium domains) and getting a premium name was not possible as I was just starting out and had a fixed budget.
And to the rescue came the domain name generators. These tools made the task so much easier for me by providing countless name suggestions out of which I was able to mix and match and create this domain name.
Now before we go ahead pick a domain name there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Try to get the .com extension first and if it is not available then go for other relevant extensions.
- Find a domain name that is easy to remember.
- Avoid the use of hyphens and numbers.
- Stay away from copyright infringement.
- Check if the name is available on top social media platforms
We have written a detailed guide on this – How to come up with great domain names
Best Domain Name Suggestion Tools
1. Name Mesh
Name Mesh is one of the most popular websites for domain name generation. Suggestions are provided under various categories such as
The best part about this tool is you can define the character length of your domain name and also you can find domain names with new extensions.
All you need to do is enter your keywords and filter the results based on your requirements. The website will provide you with ample of names to choose from.
2. Shopify Domain Name Generator
The name says it all. It is a free domain name generation tool by Shopify.
To find names using this tool all you need to do is enter the keywords in the search box and it will return a list of suggestions. Pick the one that fits well with your brand.
Here’s a thing, Shopify has 2 tools one is a business name generator and the other is a domain name generator.
- Domain name generator- This tool will provide you with all the suggestions for the available domain names.
- Business name generator- Business name generator works similar to the domain name generator but it asks you to create a Shopify store.
3. Lean Domain Search
Lean domain search is a very powerful domain name suggestion tool by Automattic, the company behind WordPress.
By the first impressions, this tool looks very basic but it provides very relevant suggestions. To use this tool you have to just enter the keyword that you want to include in your domain name and hit the search button and then sort the results based on your requirements.
This tool gives you the ability to sort results based on
You can also filter the results based on
- Starts with the search term
- Ends with the search term
This tool also tells you if the name you have selected is available on Twitter or not.
To find names using this tool start by entering one or two keywords in the search box. It will show a list of all the available names.
You can also find the names with other extensions. This tool will allow you to check for the availability of the name on social media platforms such as
The suggestions provided are based on appending the name, adding a vowel, original and adding related words. This tool also shows the terms related to your keywords and translation in various languages.
5. Bust A Name
Bust A Name has 2 options
- Domain Search
- Domain Maker
In domain search, you need to start by entering a few words and this tool will combine the words and will show suggestions.
Sorting of the names can be done according to
- Insertion order
You can search for names with extensions other than .com such as .net, .org, .info, .biz. Names can also be prefixed or suffixed. The option to pluralize nouns, drop the last vowel and 2 or 3-word combine is also available. This tool has an amazing feature where you can shortlist the names you like
Domain maker in Bust A Name offers the option to create names that start with or end with the word of your choice. The character length of the domain name can be altered and you can also see name suggestions with extensions like .com, .net, .org, .info and .biz.
Wordoid is another amazing that you can use to find the perfect domain name for your website. This tool gives you the option to select from languages such as
By searching the desired words, it will show you all the suggestions. Also, you can select if you want the keyword in the start, end or in the middle. You can set the quality and alter the character length.
It also has the option to view recent searches and save your favorite names.
Wordoid shows domain names available with .com and .net extensions.
7. Domain Puzzler
Domain puzzler is very easy to use domain name suggestion tool. It has 4 modes
In easy mode, you need to add a few words either separated by comma or space and the next thing you need to do is select the extension from the list of extensions and press search. And the tool will return all the results.
Advanced mode lets you add a few more words than the easy mode. This works similar to easy mode, the only difference is it gives you the flexibility to add more words and in return, you get more combinations.
In Magic mode, the keywords that you have provided will be combined with popular words to provide you with suggestions.
PageRank mode allows you to compare page ranks of different domains.
This tool also allows you to add domain names to your favorite list.
Another very easy to use tool that gives you the option to select your domain with a wide variety of domain name extensions.
This tool has various different applications that you can use for finding the right name for your website
- Domain name generator- This tool can generate 1000’s of names based on the keyword you provide and word group and extension you select.
- Domain name suggestion- This tool automatically generates names based on the keywords you provide and the extension you pick.
- Instant domain search- As the name suggests, this application provides you with the name suggestions while you are typing.
- Dictionary word domain search- Very interesting tool for someone looking for a single word domain name. This tool provides you with all the available and unregistered dictionary words domain names.
- 3 and 4 letters domain search- Again the name says it all, this application provides you with the list of all the available domain names with 3 and 4 characters and in multiple extensions. This is possible that some suggestions may include numbers.
- Domain name hack- If you like domain names such as deli.cio.us or blo.gs, this is the tool for you. This tool checks more than 1200 cctlds to provide you with all the possible names.
- Brandable Domains- This application provides you with a list of domain names with extensions that can be branded.
- High Paying keywords- This tool searches for all the domain names available with high paying Google Adsense keywords. The built-in database has more than 500000 keywords.
- Brand name generator- This tool creates short, simple and keyword-rich domain names. Supports more than 8 languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Romanian.
Impossibility is another interesting domain name generator that lets you add
- verbs or
at the beginning or end of your keyword.
All you have to do is add your keyword in the search box and select if you want to add the adjective, verb or noun at the beginning or at the end of your word and press the Search button.
You can also select from 4,5 or 6 letters adjectives, verbs or nouns or even just go with mixed. It will show some really cool ideas for the domain name.
This tool will only show you domain names with the .com extension. If you do not like the initial suggestions, you can click on the Get more button in the bottom and it will show you more domain names.
Like I said before when I was searching for a custom domain name, these tools were a massive help and saved a lot of time. All we did was entered the desired keyword in a few of these tools and then I used the mix n match technique and found the perfect name.
Once you have found the perfect domain name and are looking to buy it. Here are a few websites we recommend
Here’s a suggestion before you make the purchase. Go with a branded domain name if you are looking towards a long term goal. If you want to create a niche website then go for a domain name with your keywords in it.
I hope this list of domain name suggestion tools will help you find the perfect domain name for your business. Do let us know in the comment section which tools did you find helpful. Also, don’t forget to share this article with your friends and subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular updates delivered straight to your inbox.